An ionic compound is a compound made up of positive and negative ions joined together by electrostatic forces of attraction. An ionic compound cannot be assigned a molecular formula since it is not made up of molecules.
The formula of an ionic compound represents the simple whole number ratio of ions in it, that is positive and negative ions.Ionic Compound Formula
is written by considering the following steps.
- The formula or the symbol of cation is written first.
- It is followed by the formula or symbol of anion. The positive and negative charges are made equal.
- In the formula of an ionic compound the ions charges are not shown.
- In order to write the ionic compound formula the positive and negative charges on ions can be crossed over to give subscript.
- While we write the formula for ionic compound we write the number and not the charges.